Thursday, December 24, 2009

Reviews Galore!

As my special Christmas gift to you, my two readers, I am doing four reviews all in one post!

The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard
A somewhat-funny movie starring Jeremy Piven as a professional traveling car salesman. This movie appears to be at least somewhat-loosely based on the IFC original documentary, The Slasher. Some of the jokes were great, many fell flat.

5.5/10

The Taking of Pelham 123
Not the most original of ideas, however, it still captured my interest throughout and features a great performance from Denzel Washington and a very good performance from John Travolta. Very similar to Tony Scott's other work.

7.5/10

Angels & Demons
The next of the far-fetched and somewhat-boring Dan Brown novel adaptations. It's hard to believe that this movie is from the same guy (Ron Howard) who gave us movies like Frost/Nixon and A Beautiful Mind. Not that it's really Howard's fault: he didnt have much to work with, apparently.

4/10

Inglourious Basterds
I really was expecting a lot more from this film. It seems that Tarantino has lost his touch somewhat lately. As much as I can appreciate the exploitation/grindhouse art form, movies like this also leaving me wanting to watch some of Tarantino's better work just to remind myself that he is indeed a capable director. That's not to say this was a bad movie: just that it felt fairly empty.

7/10

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Inglourious Basterds" included some of my favorite Tarantino dialogue and characters, and the tension in some of the major scenes was as thick and raw as nearly any other film, with the caveat being that because it was Tarantino, I expected this, so it was a fun type of diabolical tension wherein I cared less about what was going to happen to the characters in these scenes and more about how wide the thrill would make me smile.

This wasn't what I was expecting, but the moment after Hanns "The Jew Hunter" Landa is finished tearing up his first scene, something clicked in my mind and all thoughts and expectations were thrown out the window and hot damn if I didn't enjoy the hell out of every second of this film.

loldjlol said...

"Bonjurno"

unfortunately, those were the best few moments of the film for me.

that and the "THIS is the GERMAN THREE!"

that and the last scene with Hanns.

I still think Pulp Fiction is the best, but I AM biased.